Which are the best areas to buy a condo in Bangkok?
You may wonder which are the best areas to buy a condo in Bangkok.
As you’d expect, there are many popular locations to live in the city. Where you chose to buy a condo and live depends on your own particular requirements. For example, if you are working or are retired you may have different viewpoints about the best places to buy a condo in Bangkok.
Do you like to be in the centre of the action in, say, Silom? Or do you prefer the busy but arguably more upmarket Phrom Pong (Emporium/Emquartier) district? Or like to live slightly out of town in On Nut or Mo Chit?
In any event, with the continued extension of the BTS (Skytrain) and the MRT (underground), travelling around Bangkok is so much easier than before. Yet certain groups of people and nationalities have favourite locations.
Favoured locations to buy a condo in Bangkok
Let’s have a look at some of the more favoured locations to buy a condo in Bangkok:
- Silom in the older city area remain popular as condos there are close to offices, shops and the famous night entertainment district of Patpong;
- just a short distance away in a north east direction and you have Sathorn with its imposing selection of high end condos such as The Met;
- moving north you have the famed Embassy and hotel district district around Wireless Road (the US Embassy is there, for example). There you have probably the most expensive condos in Bangkok when measured by Baht per square metre. The Wireless area merges into the Ploenchit area around the Central Chidlom department store and Ploenchit and Chidlom BTS stations. Some of the older but well liked condos such as Somkid Garden can be found there;
- Sukhumvit Road actually runs for many kilometres but the area around Asoke and between Soi 16 and 26, on the one side and Sois 19-39 on the other also have a number of prime condo blocks. This area has the huge (over 300 rai) Benjakitti Park nearby and relatively easy car access to several expressways. Plus numerous high class hotels and, so, remains very popular with condo buyers renters alike;
- between about Sukhumvit 24, past Soi 39 and to Thong Lor is also very popular given the availability of all required amenities, major and neighbourhood shopping. This is an area especially favoured by Japanese residents of Bangkok;
- along Thong Lor (Soi 51) and across to Ekamai (Soi 63) there are a number of high-end condos, with many yuppie type residents;
- as the BTS travels south east out of the city, the next large nucleus of condos is at On Nut. This used to the last station of the BTS line, before it was extended and extended. With the easy access on the BTS back into the city or out towards Bang-na and beyond to Pattaya, On Nut is popular with many Chinese buyers. And with other foreigners maybe working in Bangkok but not wanting to pay the higher city prices along Sukhumvit or in central downtown.
Buying a condo in Bangkok offers plenty of choice
There are plenty of choices for buying condos in Bangkok and like many major cities with sky trains or underground rail systems, condo development follows the rail lines as they radiate out from the city centre.
These inner city rail systems are an integral part of Bangkok living and commuting, Therefore, some buyers are content to live around 25-40 mins easy travel time away from their workplaces. Yet, the more established condo areas such as Silom/Sathorn and Asoke/Sukhumvit will always be popular locations to buy condos in Bangkok. After all they have everything for great city living within their own neighbourhoods!